Saturday, September 4, 2010

Gorgeous Song Thing - John Ireland's "Sea Fever"






"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by . . ."

~ John Masefield













I'm watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory tonight (the original one with Gene Wilder) and just saw something that made me rush to YouTube during a commercial and listen to this song.

When the boat arrives to take the visitors deeper into the factory, Mr. Wonka says, "and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." It's a (slightly incorrect) quote of John Masefield's poem "Sea Fever", the poem composer John Ireland used for his song of the same name. I love Ireland's interpretation of the poetry, and goodness do I love a good baritone singing it! The video I've posted is a great rendition by Sir Thomas Allen.


3 comments:

  1. We just watched the original and Jonny Depp one last night. Ireland is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time I have J. Ireland sing-absolutely gorgeous voice
    aunteegem@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard this before. Really love it!
    hockeygalnc(AT)hotmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete